1. AVG Free:
AVG AntiVirus Free not only gives you the top-quality antivirus protection and security features that you'd usually expect only from a paid product, but added privacy features for 2014 help keep your personal information safe both online and on your PC, and the new integrated File Shredder permanently deletes sensitive files to keep them from falling into the wrong hands. Add to this our Anti-Spyware Technology and WiFi Guard, and you can be sure that wherever you are, at home or on the move, we're taking your privacy seriously.
And it's not just your PC and privacy that we help protect. Performance remains a significant factor, too. We firmly believe that antivirus software should never get in your way, so our smart scanning technology not only reduces scan times, it ensures that they take place when your PC isn't busy with other tasks. In other words, you can get on and do what you need to without any delays or interruptions.
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is trusted antivirus and antispyware protection for Windows available to download for free. In addition, the new included LinkScanner® Active Surf-Shield checks web pages for threats at the only time that matters - when you're about to click that link.
AVG Anti-Virus Free has these following features:
- Award-winning antivirus and antispyware
- Real-time safe internet surfing and searching
- Quality proven by 80 million of users
- Easy to download, install and use
- Protection against viruses and spyware
- Compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP
2. Bitdefender Antivirus Plus:
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has been designed from ground up towards enabling you to do whatever you enjoy doing most with your computer, while staying 100% safe from e-threats.
Bitdefender uses its own proprietary technologies, while also improving on basic ones which it then integrates for maximum protection.
- Real-time Shield - The real time shield is designed to protect access to the entire system. This means that files are scanned as they are accessed or copied. For example, the files you just downloaded from the Internet are scanned immediately.
- Active Virus Control - Active Virus Control is an innovative proactive detection technology that is able to detect new potential threats for which default protection has not yet been released, very fast and accurately, thus providing an essential protection layer.
- Intrusion Detection System - This technology makes sure that applications trying to access the Internet or the network are not masked e-threats, by marking them whenever its behavior is suspect and by stopping them if the score becomes high.
- B-Have - B-HAVE proactively detects unknown threats that other products miss by analyzing applications behavior in a safe environment. If no malicious actions are detected, B-HAVE starts the program normally; otherwise, it will automatically quarantine or delete it.
- HTTP Scanning - Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition also scans all the links you are accessing from your browser, checking them for various scams or credit card phishing attempts and blocking them when they are unsafe.
- Anti-rootkit - This technology is used to scan and block rootkits, a stealthy type of software, often malicious, designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer.
Avast! Free Antivirus is an efficient and comprehensive antivirus program. It is one of the most popular antivirus programs available, thanks to the reliable and trustworthy brand that Avast have created. The key features that continue to make Avast! Free Antivirus so popular are the easy UI, optimized scanning options and continuously updated database of virus definitions.
Avast Antivirus Free has these following features:
- Simple, improved UI - The 2014 version includes a much simpler and quicker to use UI. Key features can be easily reached in the sidebar and the homepage is now customizable so you can access the tools you use most often directly. The overall appearance is clean and uncluttered, with buttons intuitively labelled and positioned.
- Comprehensive Protection - Avast are constantly updating their database of virus definitions, meaning your computer will be protected against the latest spyware, viruses and potentially hazardous websites.
- Speed - Avast! Free Antivirus comes with 5 standard scanning options based on depth and speed. Rapid scan will suffice in most cases - targeting removable media and the files you select, identifying security threats in usually less than a minute.
Kaspersky anti-virus protects you from the Phishing and Malware sites that you wouldn't otherwise know were attempting to steal from you. At the same time, the Kaspersky Security Network allows your computer to report when it discovers a threat that hasn't been seen before. All 250 million Kaspersky users benefit from our combined knowledge!
Kaspersky antivirus has these following features:
- Protects from viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware, adware
- Scans files, email, and internet traffic
- Protects Instant Messengers
- Protects From Unknown Threats
- Analyzes and closes Internet Explorer vulnerabilities
- Disables links to malware sites / phishing sites
- Global Threat Monitoring (Kaspersky Security Network)
- Blocks all types of keyloggers
- Automatic Database Updates
- Free Technical Support
5. Microsoft Security Essentials:
Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It's easy to tell if your PC is secure - when you're green, you're good. It's that simple.
Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want - without interruptions or long computer wait times.
Reviewed by Vinay Vernekar